Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Canon XH-A1 review - First impressions

Note: This review was first posted in the Video University Members Only forum on Jan 13, 2008.

Last Sunday I used the Canon XH-A1 for the first time at a wedding. This wedding is being delivered as 4:3 standard definition. However to get used to the A1, I shot some 16:9 HDV. The 4:3 guides on the LCD were turned on to keep the important action within a standard frame. The ceremony was inside a building with light coming mostly through skylights. So I white balanced the camera to 5500K using the manual color temperature control (thanks to Darrell Aubert for that suggestion. Much better than using a white card). There was enough light to shoot open at 1/60 sec with 3 to 6db of gain. I used the "Panalook" custom preset that I found on the DVinfo site (it is supposed to emulate a DVX100). This preset gave me very rich color, with nice skin tones. The result was very pleasing. At 6db gain, there is some noise, but nothing objectionable. As noted above, colors are rich but natural.

For the reception I tried both 60i and 24F. The room was typical, with light coming from incandescent fixtures in the ceiling. The toasts were shot as above (except for changing the white balance). I used my NRG Varilux light with the 60% diffusion filter. Using that filter really didn’t put out enough light. In the future I may use the 30% diffuser or shoot with the bare lamp.I experimented more during the dancing. I tried a couple of “high gain” presets that I found, but didn’t like the results. I also shot a large portion of the dancing at 24F. Using a shutter speed of 1/24 allowed me to shoot in lower light with very nice results (very film like). I was able to use my Sony 10/20 with 6db gain selected. At least there was some light on the dance floor at this reception. The results may have been different if they turned the lights down as they so often do.
What I like about the A1:

  • An iris ring on the lens barrel.
  • Peaking in the viewfinder. This makes manual focusing much easier.
  • 20X zoom.
  • 24F mode. Much better than the faux cinema mode on the Z1 and FX1.
  • Audio level controls on the side of the camera. This is much nicer than the audio setup on the PD170.
  • Excellent image stabilizer. Better than the GL2 and much better than the PD170. Hand holding is really easy with this camera.
  • Instant auto-focus. Works quite well.
  • Zebras can be selected from a range of 70 to 100 IRE. I used 75 IRE during this shoot.
  • Extensive customization. There are a lot of parameters that can be modified. Much more than the Z1. This allows the user to get a lot of different looks. Some have commented that the A1 doesn’t look that impressive out of the box, and that you really have to tweak it. Fortunately there are lots of presets to be found on the Internet.

What I don't like:

  • The iris ring is too close to the zoom ring. Too often I ended up stopping down the lens when trying to zoom manually. I also found myself moving it inadvertently when reaching for other things. I am sure that I will get used to it though. The autofocus switch is too small and hard to find. A nitpick, but I am used to the PD170. The same thing with the menu button.
  • While I love the ability to select zebras in a range to 70 to 100 IRE, I would like to have the ability to switch between two settings without having to go into the menus.
  • The LCD could be bigger (but then I am used to the equally small LCD on the PD170).
  • The viewfinder and LCD were hard to use in sunlight.
  • The viewfinder needs a bigger eyecup, and the LCD needs to be a hybrid like the LCDs on Sony camera.
  • Low light – I shouldn’t complain here. If I wanted to have PD170 low light capability, I would have to spend more then twice as much for a Sony EX1. Running the camera at 1/24 sec shutter speed in 24F mode helps a lot, but it is no 170. I am keeping my PD170 for those cases when I can’t use an external light. However the A1 seems to be the “best of the rest” if you don’t count the EX1 (although Z1/FX1 owners would argue otherwise).

Overall I am very impressed with the A1. For what I paid a couple of years ago for a PD170, I have a very configurable, well built HDV camcorder. Canon really listened to what videographers wanted. The positives far outweigh the negatives. I am hoping to get another one later this year so I can start shooting weddings entirely in HD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home